Thursday 1 October 2015

My Sincerest Apologies To You, Twitter: Why More and More Libraries Are Using Twitter

To the most-beloved Twitter,

Oh, how I hated you in the past. I created an account on you not too long ago, hoping that I could keep track on my friends' lives. I desperately wanted to like you, as you seemed so attractive and clean in appearance. I also wanted to learn how to use hashtags properly, and not in a mocking way. 

But alas dear Twitter, it was just not meant to be. I was simply too verbose and long-winded for you; I couldn't become comfortable using 140-character limits. My friends thought so too. They ditched their accounts two weeks after creating them. And so, with nothing else to look forward to, I abandoned you. My once lively account was now (and sadly still is) in a comatose state. 

Well, I'm here to tell you that I'm sorry I misunderstood you. It went over my head that you are a librarian's dream come true.

You are more than just some silly website to pass time with. 

You were (and still are) a very useful tool to look up various types of information, even if it's just a quote from a D-list celebrity. 

You single-handedly put microblogging on the map. 

You have helped libraries around the world get in touch with patrons more easily and effectively. You have helped to create more pro-library communities.

Libraries are surprisingly popular on you, sweet Twitter; the New York Public Library has around 605,000 followers. Of course, libraries don't need to get that many followers to be successful. 

Smart library staff aren't just using you and other forms of microblogging to share info about recommended books, updated policies, etc. They also use accounts to relate to patrons and help them explore the big, beautiful world around them.

The Winnipeg Public Library, for example, released a tweet yesterday stating about James Dean's death, and linked relevant info on how he impacted our culture. I think that's a clever way to re-introduce classic actors and other important figures to unfamiliar users.

Libraries can also use Twitter and microblogging to inform the public about community events. Everything ranging from free concerts to knitting classes is posted on many library Twitter accounts. Twitter is also an effective tool to create discussions with, engaging with patrons to think critically and voice their opinions more easily. 

It's amazing how many interesting things a library can pack into you, my little Twitter.

I'll admit, it may take me a while to boot up my account again. But at least I now have a better understanding of you. Where I once despised you, I have now grown to at least admire you from afar.

Sincerely,

Erin.

P.S- I found some accounts that I really like a lot. I hope that they may never falter on you:

1. Vancouver Public Libraryhttps://twitter.com/VPL
2. Winnipeg Public Libraryhttps://twitter.com/wpglibrary?ref_src=twsrc%5egoogle%7ctwcamp%5eserp%7ctwgr%5eauthor
3. Scottish Poetry Libraryhttps://twitter.com/ByLeavesWeLive

No comments:

Post a Comment