Wednesday 16 September 2015

I'm Not Boring, Really: Why I Chose To Become a Library Technician

Much like Alice and her Wonderland adventures, I seem to have fallen down into a complex world known as libraries and librarianship. Yes, I'm talking about that quiet place which sometimes smells like a combo of dusty furniture and over-perfumed ladies. And yes, right now I'm trying to acquire my library and information technology diploma. Someday, I want to be one of those leathery librarian techs, the ones that give you annoyed glances if you make noises louder than a silent but deadly fart.

But unlike Alice and her dream, I don't want to "wake up". I don't want to choose another profession. And I don't want to give up on libraries and the services their staff can provide. 

I had a talk with a friend of mine months before I began my program. It was your typical visit I guess, full of phrases like "I've missed you so much!" and "I'll literally die if we don't eat!". Soon came that classic college student topic: courses.
"So, how are you doing in your college courses?" I asked.
She gave me a look equivalent to a shrug. "Some of my classes are OK, others I'm having trouble with," she replied.
Her goal was to take over her mother's bridal store one day, so she took up business administration.
She asked, "Are you excited for your library program coming up?".
"Of course!" I said, "It feels like an eternity waiting for it to start. I better enjoy it.".
Suddenly, the ominous bells of concern rang from my friend:

"Are you sure you'll like it Erin? I can't imagine being in a library. It seems super boring to work at, and it stinks in there. Why take a job like that?".

I couldn't stop her questions planting inside my brain, they were toxic mushrooms threatening to overtake my emotional garden.

But then I remembered. 

Back in high school, I was a page at my local public library. A bunch of my shifts were in the children's section downstairs, but my work schedule called for a lot of upstairs shifts too. Sure, I had slower evenings just reading shelves and putting away material properly. I guess for some it could be as exciting as this:

But I also thought back to Saturday story times, with grinning children trying to guess what happened next. I remembered trying to help patrons learn how to use our brand-new Mac computer to send messages to their families. I recalled all the "thank you's" and nods of approval anytime I successfully found the right material for a patron.

I remembered doing more than putting away picture book copies.

I, along with others, acquire and provide information for all types of patrons. My chosen profession helps to foster positive change for my community.


And for me, that will always be as exciting as running a bridal store.

No comments:

Post a Comment