Thursday 17 September 2015

Free Our Info: Libraries And Web 2.0.

Today in this post, I'll be sharing something that's more vital to libraries then you might think: Web 2.0. When I first heard this term used in class, I wasn't sure what it meant. Was it a new technological breakthrough? Were we finally going to be able to have Smell-o-Vision installed in our computers? Did Web 2.0. mean we were heading towards a 1960's style of future, complete with holograms?

Unfortunately, Web 2.0. isn't any of those things. Simply put, it's various sites that are both participatory and collaborative. 

Web 2.0 sites allow the average Joe, Jane, and pet gerbil named Pumpkin to interact with dynamic Internet pages.  

All those funny cat videos you watch on Youtube? Your Facebook status detailing on how much your life sucks?

Congrats, you just used Web 2.0.

So, how does this all relate to libraries you may ask? Can't patrons just get off their behinds, enter a library, and talk to a staff member about upcoming events? 

Well, if we didn't have Web 2.0., libraries would have a much tougher time communicating to patrons and enticing others to use our resources. We need to become that scuzzy car-salesman and provide as much information about our services as best we can. 

And in order to do this, it's my belief that libraries should take advantage of the many forms of Web 2.0.

Today, libraries can use Web. 2.0 sites in a variety of ways. Many public libraries use Twitter to inform patrons on a lot of things, such as the date when Stephen King will arrive for a meet-and-greet. Youtube can work wonders for showing story times when parents can't make it the day of when it's happening. 

The possibilities to share information with patrons and staff using Web 2.0 sites are limitless.

Personally, I'm comfy using Facebook to look up status's published by my hometown public library so I stay updated on new items they've received. Blogs also work wonders for reading recommendations. The list of uses goes on into the wild, vast yonder.

However, since the Internet seems to be ever-changing at speeds of a rocket ship, I wonder how long it'll be before the sites libraries use will become outdated. What will happen when Web 3.0. comes in fruition?

For now, all I can say is that I'm happy that more and more libraries are using the Internet to their advantage. 

And I'll continue to look up library services from the comforts of my own home whenever I please.

No comments:

Post a Comment