Saturday 5 December 2015

Oh, How Web 2.0. Isn't Frightful: Thinking About What I've Learned

Hello to all my readers! Now that we've hit December, it's usually the perfect time to reflect on how the year has come and gone, and what new things we have learned. Today, I want to think back on what I've learned over this semester. Put your best set of fuzzy slippers, sip some hot cocoa, and prepare yourselves for my course reflection.

In my multimedia class, us library tech students recently had the pleasure of listening to some guest speakers working in our field. The guest speakers came from an wide arrange of library types: public, academic, you name it. They mainly discussed how they implemented Web 2.0. tools in their jobs.

What stood out to me, however, were the differences of opinion about Web 2.0. implementation. 

For example, one speaker working for the University of Winnipeg claimed to use a wide variety of Web 2.0. based tools, even going so far as to creating his own subject guide. You can browse through some of their guides, as they're quite informative: http://libguides.uwinnipeg.ca.

However, others were a bit more cautious when it came to implementing social media and other Web 2.0. tools. Some talked about having difficulty with having so many options out there, and trying to maintain their chosen tools. A speaker who worked in a school library even had trouble trying to get social media approved.

What we can learn from this is that Web 2.0. technology is heavily dependent on commitment. Before a library tries to implement new technologies, patrons' needs and their abilities to access them must always be considered.

Throughout my multimedia course, I've also learned about different types of tools libraries can use. 

Where I once despised Twitter, I have now come to respect its positive impact on libraries, as library events can now be easily described to patrons. 

I've also grown to love listening to library-based podcasts (e.g. ComicPop Library and Circulating Ideas). They contain a wealth of information for library staff and for podcast-loving patrons. 

Finally, I've learned to go out of my way and search up library Youtube accounts, instead of...well, watching How It Should Have Ended (HISHE) episodes.

These aforementioned tools (along with many others) have really peaked my interest.

If there was one thing I wish our class could have gone over more was creative/maker sites such as Weebly, Glogster, Wordle, and Zee Maps. 

For instance, I created a fictional high school library website using Weebly as part of my final project. Learning a bit more on how to use such tools would have been great. But I think I've managed to make a nice little website: http://lougheedbrucehighlibrary.weebly.com 

Yes, I really did name the high school after myself. I'll admit my name choice is highly unoriginal. You can blame the stress of completing other assignments for that.

Anyway, to wrap things up, I've been made aware of numerous applications and tools that libraries can effectively use. It's been fun learning about them all, and I've realized that it's important to stay on top of new developments. 

I'm not saying that libraries have to use every web tool out there. Some tools and applications fall out of favour quickly. And with all the upkeep, we'd be chained to our desks, never being able to properly help our patrons.

But libraries should start out with a few web-based tools for the benefit of their patrons and staff. Libraries need to adapt to new technology in order to stay relevant. After all, their primary duty is to educate patrons about various information. And what better way to inform them than by using Web 2.0. tools?

No comments:

Post a Comment